Thursday, July 4, 2013

Favorite STARTER products

When speaking with people who want to begin inching towards a healthier lifestyle, I like to recommend the following 2 products (they're my favorites, and I use them ALL the time!):

A BlendTec Blender (or a Vitamix is comparable).

As mentioned in my first post, this machine has literally changed my life. I use it every day, and sometimes multiple times a day. The best part about the BlendTec is that I save time by doing very little food prep because it has the power to grind everything you can think of. (Literally....there are videos you can watch of them grinding golf clubs in it. But- I would caution you not to try that). When I make my daily green smoothies, I usually throw most parts of the fruits and vegetables in (stems, seeds, peels to taste- all having a ton of nutrients) and it purees it all. I also use my BlendTec to make breads, pizza crust, soups (it even heats the soup in it), ice cream, dressings, pureed food cubes to freeze to add to recipes later, and pretty much anything I can think of.
*BlendTec holds special events at Costco, and you can buy them for about $400 when they're there. Call your local Costco for dates. You can also buy online.

Coconut Oil 

Coconut oil has become a staple in my home. I have used it to replace our body and face lotion, and cook with it most of the time. YES- what better substances to put on our body than what we eat? It just makes sense....if we're not willing to put chemicals IN our body, why would we put them ON our body?
I became a firm believer after I started using it on my four year old daughter. We just applied like we would regular lotion after her baths, and after about a month, the dry patch of bumps that had invaded her entire upper arms since she was an infant disappeared! This condition did have a formal medical diagnose that I can't remember, and we tried several remedies and prescription lotions with no success. Who knew?...All we needed was coconut oil!
Since, I have made up little lidded bowls of coconut oil to use as lotion and lipgloss around our house. After I became aware of the healing properties of Essential Oils, I now add lavender and melaleuca to our little bowls.

Today, I had the most amazing mom moment: Klaire ate the coconut oil from our little "lotion" bowl (as kids sometimes do for no reason whatsoever. But to give Klaire credit- she was already aware that it was edible as we have discussed it many times and she sees me cook with it), and I just said "Good for you! It's quite healthy!" What a strange feeling it was to be happy that my daughter was eating lotion. (*doTerra Essential Oils have an FDA label and most are safe for consumption, including the ones I put in our "lotion". Do not buy health market Essential Oils- as these can't be consumed).

I love it so much, I just bought it for my sisters for their birthday. My sister, Kristina, and I agree...we love to watch it melt in our hands! It's so fun!
There are a ton of other health benefits, too: hair care, stress relief, weight loss, immunity, infection, digestion, and heart health.
Make sure to buy virgin, organic, cold pressed coconut Oil. You can buy them at health markets, and some grocery stores.
Read here about why Green Smoothie Girl loves coconut oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment